Thursday, February 25, 2010

Horrible Bridesmaid 1

I am a horrible bridesmaid. I have yet to be an actual bridesmaid, but, I've already decided I am HORRIBLE in this role.

My friend (we'll call her Buster) is getting married this spring. We survived high school together in a small town, played field hockey alongside each other for 4 years, and before going off to different colleges, promised we'd be in each other's weddings. Buster got engaged and kept her promise. She called me with the exciting news, and asked me to be one of her three bridesmaids. Of course I said yes and having never been asked to be a bridesmaid before, I was genuinely excited. I went to my local David's Bridal, tried on the dress and ordered it in the appropriate size, well before the other bridesmaid had. I was ahead of schedule and fulfilling my duties as bridesmaid number two.

The Engagement Party was last month. I went solo and brought a silver wedding frame as a gift. I met the other bridesmaids, reminisced with Buster about our high school days, chatted with the groom's parents. There was only one problem. This engagement party conflicted with another party 45 minutes away and running at the same time. I decided I could make it to both. I hate missing a good party. So after a few hours of chatting it up with the individuals who will now be a major part of Buster's life, I politely thanked the hosts, said my goodbyes and explained I had another obligation. All was going smoothly until I approached the groom's mother. She is the epitome of a Jewish mother and there is nothing like a Jewish mother. "You're leaving?!" she asked me. The disapproval was written across her face. I felt horrible, like the worst bridesmaid in history. I was checking out of Buster's engagement party to attend another friend's 28th birthday party. As one of my friends put it, "Buster will only get married once, but the other girl will have plenty of birthdays." Oddly enough, Buster did not mind my early dismissal, she was just happy to have me there in any capacity. That's one thing I always loved about her, she's so easygoing. I rationalized my actions by telling myself, "Well you're not the Maid of Honor, that would be different." I strategically wove my way to the exit through the crowd of party guests and waitresses distributing glass flutes full of Veuve Cliquot. As I slipped out the front door just as the groom's father was about to propose a toast, I cringed. Cringed at what a horrible bridesmaid I am, and because Champagne always makes me puke.

No comments:

Post a Comment