Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Gal Friday

8:45AM today I'm on the phone with my friend/colleague Diva who is bugging out because she forgot to book her boss his hotel room. I can relate to the "sinking feeling" she described because our bosses are pretty important dudes and part of our job description is catering to their needs. She and I get along so well because we truly understand each other's stresses from this job, the crazies we have to deal with and the greater purpose we're all working toward in 6 months. Also, because Cancer and Taurus personalities go well together.

So while I can understand why Diva is distraught over her mistake, I am also somewhat annoyed with her higher ups and defensive of her error. I call her Diva but she should be called Gal Friday because she really is a "Gal Friday", doing a variety of jobs that would normally be spread out amongst three people. She is a hard worker and she manages/runs her office pretty well, all while being underpaid. I tell her to own the mistake and apologize, but stick up for herself and mention that she's being pulled in many different directions. She refuses and says she's not going to hint that she has too much on her plate.

I understand her reluctance, and agree that in certain situations you do just need to put your head down and your tail between your legs, but I also think at times that can give people in power a sense that they can walk all over you, or in Diva's case, take out their frustrations on you. I have offered to give one of Diva's higher ups with bipolar tendencies a piece of my mind on her behalf. She declined my offer and I was kidding....partially. I just don't agree with "punching bag" as part of her job description.

It turns out, Diva's forgetfulness reaped praise from the head honcho because he wasn't totally sure if he was staying overnight or heading home...that, and there were available hotel rooms for walk-ins. He actually referred to Diva not booking his room as "thoughtful" hahaha. I think he meant thoughtless? I'm just glad it worked out in her favor because then she's in a good mood on g-chat.


No comments:

Post a Comment